This blog contains posts about all of my letterboxing trips and events I have attended.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Heading Home

I was up early this morning so I could get on the road and make it back to Santa Fe by the afternoon. I had the car packed by 5:00am and then I checked out of the hotel and grabbed a breakfast bag for something to snack on. By 5:15am I was on the road and heading home. I did have three boxes I wanted to stop and look for on the way home - all were quick drive-bys.  So my first stop was in Como about 10 miles north of Fairplay. I turned off of US 285 and onto CR 33.
I made a stop just as I entered the town at the Como Roundhouse. Here I found The Woodshed's Weird Colorado: Como box. It was hidden at a pullout with an informational sign for the Roundhouse. I found it quickly, stamped in while sitting in the car and then returned it to its hiding spot. I was just after 6:00am when I found the box and the town was eerily quiet. I was glad when I was back on the road. When I arrived in Fairplay I turned onto CR 16 and drove to the Fairplay Cemetery and found Eighth Notes: "Star" by The Woodshed. Another quick and easy find and soon I was back on US 285 heading home. An hour and a half later I turned onto CO 17 and headed to Mosca. From there I took Lane 6 N to CO 150. I turned right here (away from Great Sand Dunes) and headed for the turn for Zapata Falls. I didn't go to the falls today, I just stopped at the sign for the area. Here I found Viva @ Zapata Falls by TeaMomOwlGirl. I had to wait to retrieve the box because two cars pulled in right after me and stopped to read the informational sign before heading up to the falls. Once they left it was a quick and easy find and in no time I was back on the road. I took CO 150 to US 160 and headed to Alamosa. When I arrived in Alamosa it was time for a break. So I stopped to use the restroom, getting something to eat and then fill the car with gas before taking off again. After that break I didn't stop again until I got home. The drive mapped out on Google said it should take about six and a half hours. It took me about eight and a quarter hours to get home. Stopping for three boxes, food, the bathroom and gas for the car added quite a bit of time. But I still got home at a good time - somewhere around 2:00pm. I am glad to be home. I had a great time at the event and found some wonderful boxes. I really hope to get back up to that area again - it was absolutely beautiful.

No comments: