This blog contains posts about all of my letterboxing trips and events I have attended.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Heading to Safford

Another letterboxing trip has begun. I am headed to Tucson for their annual gathering - 13th Annual Tucson Letterboxers Gathering: A Colossal Event. I am taking about a week to travel a little through Southeast Arizona and spend most of my time letterboxing.

This morning I left Santa Fe early because I wanted to stop along the way and letterbox and still get to Safford before dark. So I headed south on I25 and exited in Socorro. Once in Socorro I stopped at the library to find a box - nothing. It was still dark so I didn't get a good look but I think it is missing. I then headed west on US60 and made my way to Datil. Here I turned onto NM12 and headed southwest to Reserve. I stopped in Reserve at a historic marker and looked for Reserve by Sunny Delight. I didn't find this box either. After a few minutes searching the area I decided it was gone and continued on my drive. From Reserve I continued along NM12 and then turned south onto US180 to Alma. When I arrived in Alma I turned onto Mineral Creek Road. I was headed to Cooney's Tomb to find Cooney's Tomb by Sunny Delight. The clue stated that it was a five mile drive from US180 to the tomb. At four miles the road crossed Mineral Creek - this is where I stopped and turned around. The creek was flowing across the road and it seemed to be moving fast. I was unable to tell how deep it was and I decided not to chance it. Back on US180 I continued a short distance to the intersection of NM159. At this intersection is a historic marker for Mogollon. I parked here and then walked across NM159 and found Butch Cassidy by ArnoldZiffel. I took the box back to the car to stamp in and then replaced it. I was happy to have found the box since I wasn't having a great letterboxing morning. From here I continued on US180 to NM174. This is the road that leads to the Catwalk. This was my third time trying to visit this area. But there was flooding in the area a few years ago and they have had problems with the road. So this morning I decided to see if I could make it. I drove about one mile and then stopped. the road crossed a creek and the creek was moving fast. Also there was a drop off to the right of the road and I didn't want to take the chance of sliding off into the creek. So I turned around and will have to try another time.


Once back on US180 I drove for a while and then turned onto NM78 headed for Arizona. As I crossed the border the road became AZ78. I drove to the intersection with US191. Continuing my drive on US191 I headed for Safford. At MM147 I stopped at a pullout and looked for Historic Highway 666 by Azroadie. From the pullout I went through a gate and walked a short distance to a dirt road (old US Highway 666). I turned left and walked a little ways along the road to a line of four Mesquite trees. And I found the box. I found a place to sit and stamp in and then replaced the box and returned to my car. From here I continued into Safford and stayed on US191 and drove to AZ366. This road heads up into the mountains and I was planning on looking for four boxes. I only drove a short distance and then stopped. The mountain had snow and even though the road might be clear I didn't think I would be able to hike and find the boxes. So I turned around and headed back into Safford. It was around 1:00pm so I decided to stop and get a bite to eat. After eating I went to my hotel to check in but my room wasn't ready. So I headed to the library. At the library I started this post and did a little reading until 3:00pm at which time I headed back to the hotel to check in.

Once at the hotel I got settled in and did a little reading. Then I planned for my day tomorrow and got things organized. Now that this post is finished I can get some rest for my driving and letterboxing tomorrow.

No comments: