This blog contains posts about all of my letterboxing trips and events I have attended.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Artistic License Event

This morning I was up early so that I could get to the park and hit the trails. Even though I found a lot of boxes yesterday there were still more. I arrived at Lake Somerville State Park (Birch Creek Unit) around 7:30am and filled out a payment envelope and then drove to the Yaupon Camping Area. [For a map of the trails at the park go to Lake Somerville State Park Trails Map.] In this area there were two series of boxes that I was planning to look for. So with gear and clues in hand I set out on the trail. First I followed the clues for one series - it was of nine boxes and a bonus. It was about a mile and a half round trip and I enjoyed the early morning walk. Then I returned to the trailhead and then followed the clues for the second series (3 boxes). Again a nice walk and much shorter than the first one. Here I ended up bumping into a few other boxers as I was finishing the series. I said hi and then returned to my car. From here I made my way to the boat ramp area. I followed the clues amidst long grass along the shore of the lake to find an incredible stamp. The walk was a little uncomfortable with the long grass and not being able to see where I was stepping but once I found the box I was happy I made the trek. After stamping in I returned back to the car to continue my letterboxing. I drove to the Post Oak Camping Area and parked near the restrooms. Then I walked back toward the main road to a trail on the right. I followed clues for two boxes. I found both of them without any problems and enjoyed stamping in since these were both amazing carvings. After replacing both boxes I returned to the start of the trail and then crossed the road to the trail on the other side. Here I followed clues to a series of 12 boxes. This walk was quite a bit longer than the first one I did this morning. It took me from the Post Oak Camping Area all the way to the Group Trailer Area and a little beyond. By the time I finished finding all 12 boxes it was a littel past noon. So instead of walking all the way back to the Post Oak Area I just went back to the dining hall. Here I had lunch, visited with people, did exchanges & personal travelers and I grabbed new clues that had been put out.

After eating and stamping we all gathered for a group photo and then I got a ride back over to the Post Oak area to get my car. I drove back to the dining hall and found four boxes that were hidden in the area this morning. Once I was done with that I got in my car and drove to the Equestrian Area. Here I followed the Lake Somerville Trailway and found a series of ten boxes. I didn't really have to walk very far - maybe a mile total for these boxes. Once back at the car I made my way to a parking area across from the park office. I found a series of four boxes on this loop trail and I also looked for another box but didn't find it. I was done with the clues for all the boxes in the park so I returned to the dining hall for snacks and more exchanges and personal travelers. I ended up talking with Wry Me and she had found the stamp for the box I couldn't find while hiding her boxes. So I was able to get that stamp. For the rest of the day I just visited until while talking to someone I realized there was one more box I hadn't found. So a group of us headed out. We walked down the road to a trail on the right and followed it to the Post Oak Area. Here I found the box I needed while the others looked for boxes that I already had. By the time we finished finding these boxes and walked back to the dining hall it was getting dark. I had decided to stay for the night boxing (something I have missed at other events) and I was in the first group heading out. At 7:40pm Bloomin' Gramma Jo, Basketcase1 and myself headed out with our flashlights. We came up with a plan and it worked great. Bloomin' Gramma Jo would look for the fire tacks, then I would retrieve the box and open it, then hand it to Basketcase1 and she would ink it and we would stamp in. Then I would put the stamp back in the box and replace it and then we would move on to the next box. There were eight boxes (four on either side of the road - you got four going one way and four coming back) and then one at a picnic table near the dining hall (this one had the logbook). We did the series in 20 minutes and had a great time.

At 8:30pm I told everyone goodbye and made my way back to the hotel. It had been a long day and I was tired, sweaty and was craving a shower. I am so glad I made it to this event - there were some amazing stamps and I enjoyed the park and seeing everyone. Here is a list of all the boxes I found today . . .
Book Illustrations 2 Series (10 boxes)
Art in Blue Series (3 boxes)
Woodcut Print
do you doodle? Series (2 boxes)
live on the COKE side of life
Book Illustrations 1 Series (12 boxes)
Ansel Adams, Master Photographer
Abstract Expressionism
Norman Rockwell - "He's Going to be Taller than Dad"
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
A Trip to the Museum Series (10 boxes)
Artistic License Foursome Series (4 boxes)
Boris Badenov
Alaskan Art Series (9 boxes)

No comments: