This blog contains posts about all of my letterboxing trips and events I have attended.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

New Mexico to Arizona

Well I am now in Arizona making my way to Tucson and letterboxing along the way. I left Santa Fe this morning while it was still dark and a chilly 28ยบ and I was ready for my adventure. The first hour or so was just driving and I got through Albuquerque without any traffic and arrived in Socorro just as the sun was coming up. I stopped to fill the car with gas and then I headed out to find a few boxes before leaving town and making my way to Arizona. I found three boxes without any problems - ArnoldZiffel's Old San Miguel Mission and Art in the Round (both great stamps) and Rodriguez Family's Thanks to ArnoldZiffel and Love from Las Cruces, NM. It didn't take me all that long to find the boxes and then I headed down US60 to continue my drive. I made my next stop at a pullout with an historical marker near the VLA. When I arrived there was an 18 wheeler parked there and I thought I wouldn't be able to get the box. I ended up talking to the guy (who was from Oregon and has been driving trucks for 44 years - he was last home for Christmas and was on his way to Dallas) for about 15 minutes before he finally got back in his truck and took off. Then I followed the clues and found the box. I took ArnoldZiffel's V.L.A. box back to the car to stamp in. After replacing the box I got back on US60 and continued on.

This next part was just driving. I took US60 to Datil and then took NM12 to Reserve. From here I followed US180 through Glenwood and then turned onto NM78 and finally arrived at the junction of AZ78, US191 and AZ75. I really enjoyed this drive - free of traffic very scenic. From here I headed south on AZ75 and made my way to Duncan. I drove to the cemetery and found Cattle Country by CW Sunseeker. This was a quick and easy find and then I retraced my drive back to the junction mentioned above. Then I continued on US191 north and eventually arrived in Clifton. My first stop here was at the cemetery where I found CW Sunseeker's Saint Teresita of Cabora. The views from this cemetery were amazing and I was glad I made the stop. Next I headed to the north part of Clifton where I followed the clues to find one of Squatchis' county boxes - Greenlee County. After stamping in I decided to head back south on US191 and then turned onto Black Hills Back Country Byway. I drove about 2 miles and stopped at Gillard Road. I followed the clues and eventually found Azroadie's Black Hills. Finding this box got me one step closer to his Arizona 15 award. Once this box was back in place I headed for Safford (my stop for the night). But before I called it a day I wanted to find two more boxes. So I headed south on US191 and turned onto SR366. I drove about 5 miles to a Coronado National Forest sign and followed clues to find Squatchis' Graham County box. After stamping in and rehiding the box I made my way back to US191 and then headed to Discovery Park Road. A short distance up the road I parked near a kiosk for a trail and took about a quarter mile walk to find Azroadie's Safford Cotton. This was another quick and easy find and added another box in my Arizona 15 count.

After this last box I decided it was time for something to eat and then head to the hotel. Once I was checked and settled in my room I showered (driving and letterboxing always makes me feel grungy) and then I got my finds logged. Now I need some rest to continue my drive tomorrow.

No comments: